Sunday 27 May 2007

Behold I am doing a new thing

BEHOLD I AM DOING A NEW THING

I had no idea what this would be. The stretched canvas came from Oxford. My MSN messaging name is ‘Red shoes are lovely’ and I have a thing about red shoes. One day I noticed the progression from red boots to red shoes and realised there was a liberating element to the change. Another day, I sketched out a woman coming out of a person shaped cupboard, the woman’s body being more or less clearly seen, the cupboard shaped as voluminous clothes, hiding the human shape. It became an emergence from what was (for so long) to what was beginning to be.

So here it is. The boxes are all sorts of symbols and reality. The painted box in the middle always held vitamins, the boxes on either side, jewellery. All ways of managing. They are open here, as the things they stand for are now.

The title comes from another favourite Bible passage, Isaiah 43.19: “See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland.”

1 comment:

Clare said...

Youl'll ahve to explain this one to me..xx