Monday 21 May 2007

The Stone was rolled away

I woke one morning with this picture on my brain. I could see the vaulted ceiling of a huge cathedral and I could see a small person - minimised and apparently ignored by the immensity of the institution of the church. But as I painted, I couldn’t manage the person in the bottom right hand corner and realised that s/he shouldn’t be there.

Suddenly fabric burst forth with colour and movement and shape. As I watched this grow, it became a statement of my distance from, yet attachment to, the institutional church. The church and its core creeds have told me of love when I wished particular people might have. I have been ordained and upheld by the church, even with my own deep critique of it. I both belong to it and fly out of it.

1 comment:

Clare said...

I like this one........xx